Another round of questions/prompts from Insecure Writer’s Support Group. The actual question is about using the annual A to Z Challenge and marketing, networking, and publicity. I’m really looking forward to reading what other authors have to say about this. I have not. So I’m going to talk about marketing a little more broadly.
Marketing and Mom
I recently had a conversation with my mother about my books. She wanted to get to read one, or listen to one of the audiobooks. Which is great, and I didn’t get a chance to take her phone and take care of getting her set up on Audible, but hopefully soon.
The really interesting thing that I became aware of through this conversation was that my own mother doesn’t know that I have 3 books out (or 2 novella and a novel, depending on how you describe them). That’s…concerning.
She follows me on FB. She listens to the podcast.
And my own mother doesn’t know. Now this could be several things. It could be she actively avoids news about me or she’s blocked me or she didn’t listen/read any of my stuff. But that’s not it. She actively listens, she interacts on FB so fb isn’t hiding all my posts.
I think I’m doing a bad job talking about it.
I recently learned there are a few other people who were surprised I had a podcast, had written books, or had audiobooks.
I’m bad at coming up with them. I’m nervous about following through. I really don’t want to bug people. I don’t want to get to the point of annoying. I don’t want to get blocked.
But I do want people to know. I want people to be able to discover. I want the people who DO want to know, to actually know.
I’ve been trying to engage in social media.
- My pinned twitter post is about the podcast
- I do have a books page (see above!) with links to my books (e and audio!)
- I do have a page (see above!) about the podcast (which I think has a very small note about patreon- I still want people to support authors first and foremost, and I’ll keep retweeting/sharing etc)
- I’ve been engaging in a handful of FB groups
- I’ve been trying to engage in some of the Twitter chats (though I need a better plan to remember to do those!)
Less great – things I can/should improve:
- Twitter bio doesn’t say I have any books out at all, I don’t think I’ve even tweeted out patreon (hopefully I will have by the time this post is live)
- Facebook bio is worse …
- I don’t have anything on my website here that links to the media I’ve engaged in
- On most of the FB groups I haven’t even introduced myself (which is problematic in multiple ways, I really need to do it but I’m so …nervous? unsure?…I guess insecure? That I’m not enough of a …person? fancy person? something? to bother. But I know that I like introductions from people. I want to see them. Why am I so stressed that I’m going to get my own wrong?
I have a few things on my to-do list that are marketing related that hopefully will help.
- Work on a YouTube/podcast “trailer”/ad
- That ad (or a variant of it) will also be the base for an ad that I’m going to use to promote the podcast in a few other places
- Try to introduce myself to 1 FB group per weekend (I’m not going to introduce myself in all of them, just a few where it makes sense), so starting next weekend – 1 group (She Podcasts – see even listing is to I’m holding myself responsible!)
- Read a boatload of the other IWSG blog posts and see who has amazing ideas and take and actually DO 1 of them
Finally, do this:
Tune in later today at 6 pm for the first episode of Season 2 of 600 Second Saga, we’ll be featuring ML Moos and a fantastic new episode!